Legal Update Week 49-50 (3 – 16 December 2018)
Thailand Legal Update Week 49-50
(December2018, reading time approx.: 3 minutes)
Thailand legal news
- 3 December 2018:
- Thaifoods Group Pub Co., Ltd. (frozen products) cut 50% of its employees (approx. 1,282 people) to reorganize the business. The company noticed employees only one week before dismissal and ordered them to sign resignation letter to receive only 3 months of severance payment regardless of working period which violated the labour (No further information about labour case filing)
- 4 December 2018:
- (Min. Reg.) Tax deduction up to THB 15,000 for shopping during National Shopping period from 15 December 2018 to 16 January 2019 on the following items:
(1) Tire (made in Thailand or from Thai rubber);
(2) Book and e-book (excluding magazine and newspaper); and
(3) OTOP products registered with the Community Development Department.
* with VAT registered businesses with full tax receipts only
- 10 December 2018:
- Within 13 April 2019, all private hospitals must display price of major medical service and medicine on central website, and on their own website for the patients. The list of major medical services and medicines will be proposed and concluded on 15 January 2019.
- 12 December 2018:
- Toll fees for the Bangkok – Chon Buri motorway (No.7) and the Bang Na – Bang Pa-in motorway (No.9) are exempted from 27 December 2018 to 3 January 2019. This measure is given every year for the people who travel during the long New Year holiday.
- 16 December 2018:
- Department of Land Transport (DTL) announced that DLT Smart License will be ready within the middle of January 2019, through DLT QR License Examples of the functions are:
– Showing virtual driving license on both sides;
– Showing personal information e.g. blood type, drug allergies, chronic disease, emergency contact, etc.;
– Location sharing;
– SOS system: sending notification for help in case of accident; and
– Getting news and updated information from the DTL.
New Cabinet resolutions
13 December 2018:
- Approved Draft: Draft Labour Protection Act (No. 7) B.E. 2561, major principles are as prescribed below;
– employment transfer requires employee’s consent;
– at least 3 days paid personal leave per year;
– 98 days of maternity leave and pre-natal care checkup;
– severance pay of 400 days of wage for the employee who works over 20 years;
– Establishment relocation includes relocating to new office or other existing office;
*Please find more details on Labour Digest: week 49-52, 2018 by K. Rapeesak.
– Approved Principle: Draft announcement of the Prime Minister’s Office and the Ministry of Interior on the limitation of the number of foreigners permanently residing in Thailand on the year B.E. …. The limitation of the year B.E. 2562 is as follow:
– 100 foreigners for each nationality per year; and
– 50 non-nationalized foreigners per year.
- Approved Draft: Draft Land and Building Tax Act (No. ..) B.E. …. and draft Min. Reg. on the lands with local tax exemption.
– Properties and lands of the foreign Economic and Trade Office established under the commitment between Thai and foreign government are exempted from land and building tax and local maintenance tax.
Royal Gazette Update: