Legal Update Week 13 – 14
Legal Update Week 13 – 14
(April 2019, reading time approx.: 3 minutes)
Thailand legal news
- 1 April 2019:
– Theses and research reports of five Thai universities (CU, SUT, SWU, MU, BU) now can be accessed and downloaded as full texts on this website https://library.tu.ac.th/.
– The Faculty of Law, Chulalongkorn University has published its digital collection containing over 1,200 theses, research reports, and other academic papers through The Chulalongkorn University Intellectual Repository (CUIR) website.
*Please find more on this link: https://cuir.car.chula.ac.th/
- 2 April 2019:
- The Supreme Court of the Division of Intellectual Property and International Trade has rendered a final judgement on the InfoQuest (online news agency) v. defendant case. This case has set the norm regarding copyright works of news as follows:
- [Normally] news → no copyright
- [In this case] news + expression of idea + originality + creative effort → copyright ©
- 3 April 2019:
- The Department of Business development, in cooperation with DSI and other related entities, has been carrying out the serious investigation into foreigners using Thai nominees in 5 target businesses (travel, land and real estate, agriculture, shipping, and advertisement) since November 2018. Now, it has been done in 4 provinces (Phuket, Chiang Mai, Surat Thani (Koh Samui), and Krabi) and will be continued in Chon Buri, Trat (Koh Chang), Bangkok, Prachuap Khiri Khan, and Phetchaburi. A person who conducts such wrongdoing will be subject to imprisonment up to 3 years, fine from THB 100,000 – 1,000,000 (or both), and/or daily penalty from THB 10,000 – 50,000.
- 4 April 2019:
- Official documents in the list below now can be provided in English version as requested by the owner at district offices:
|1. Birth certificate||7. Divorce certificate|
|2. Death certificate||8. Registration of family status|
|3. House registration||9. Certificate of personal name change|
|4. Letter of birth certification||10. Registration of family names|
|5. Letter of national ID card||11. Registration of joint surname|
|6. Marriage certificate||12. Certificate of surname change|
- 5 April 2019:
- Visa on arrival fees waiver scheme is extended again to the end of October 2019 to cover long holidays in China (Chinese Golden Week: 1-7 October).
- 7 April 2019:
- The Tourism Authority of Thailand considered to bring back tax relief measure to support tourism in 55 second-tier tourist provinces, after this measure was successful last year (2018). Tax deduction is supposed to be up to THB 30,000 (previously, THB 15,000).
|New Cabinet resolutions|
26 March 2019:
- Approved Draft: Three draft Royal Decrees, issued under the Revenue Code on reduction and exemption of taxes (No. ..) B.E. ….
- *Please find more details on the Memorandum re: three draft Royal Decrees cancelling tax benefits for headquarters.
- Approved Draft: Draft Cosmetics Act (No. ..) B.E. ….
- Indicating clear extent and area of practice.
- Giving definition for “establishment” “cosmetic approval procedures” and “committee”.
- Adding cosmetic approval procedures.
- Approved Draft: Draft Guidelines on Corporate Governance of State-Owned Enterprises B.E. ….
- Official guidelines to help governments improve efficiency and transparency in stated-owned sector.
- To replace the guidelines B.E. 2552.
2 April 2019:
- Approved Principle: Additional regulations re: health insurance for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa-O-A (Long Stay/Retirement) (1 year)
- Health insurance which has insurance money for outpatient (OPD) not less than THB 40,000 and for inpatient (IPD) not less than THB 400,000 is required (mandatory).
- Approved Principle: Issuance of official documents through digital system
- Proposed by the Office of the Public Sector Development Commission.
- The purposes are to develop e-Service in public sector and to reduce the use of papers.
Royal Gazette Update: